Wednesday 18 August 2010

Chapter 4-6

Chapter 4
"I'll be as careful as I can, Skywhisker," began Foxheart, as she finished sharing tongues with her mother.
"I know, but I'll miss you so much!" exclaimed Skywhisker. Her bright blue eyes still glowed faintly with shock.
"I'll miss you too! Wait- we don't even know if I'm going to go on the quest yet!" purred Foxheart.
"I know. I'm just worried about you. I don't want you to get hurt." Skywhisker explained.
"I won't. I mean, I have to come back to everyone and be the deputy!" Foxheart exclaimed.
"Okay Foxheart. I just-oh, you know!" Skywhisker purred. Foxheart gave her a lick on the cheek.
"I love you." Foxheart purred to her mother. She stood up when she saw Redfur slip out of the elders den. Foxheart gave her pelt a shake, and then groomed it down quickly.
"Good luck!" called Skywhisker, as Foxheart padded towards Redfur.
"Ready for this?" asked Foxheart.
"Ready as I'll ever be," replied Redfur. Together, they headed towards the leaders den. Foxheart and Redfur came to the crumble of rocks that led up to the cave that was the leaders den. Foxheart leapt up the first rock.
"Wait!" Redfur stopped suddenly.
"What is it Redfur?" questioned Foxheart, turning to face Redfur.
"Say...say we get the quest and we head out there to find this sideways river," began Redfur, scuffling her paws nervously in the dirt, "you-you have to promise me one thing.
"What? What is it? I promise."
"Never-never ever-let me die like I did in the dream. Promise?" she meowed.
"Of course. I promise." replied Foxheart.
"Then lets go!" meowed Redfur, bounding up a few rocks. Foxheart and Redfur leapt up the rocks easily. They sent little pebbles scattering back down the rocks. They reached a rocky cliff at the top at the entrance to the cave. Foxheart and Redfur looked down, and saw the clan below them. Foxheart saw Skywhisker looking up at them. She gave them a reassuring nod. Her blue eyes sparkled with pride. Foxheart turned to the leaders den entrance. She took a deep breath and stepped into the cave. The first thing she noticed, was how cool it was inside the den. The dim light showed a large cave with smooth sides. There was a soft looking nest of moss and bracken in the back of the cave. Foxheart could smell water in a pool in one of the corners. She smelled Vinestar's scent, mingled with vole. The bottom of the den was soft, cool, and sandy. Vinestar was sitting in her nest, eating the vole. She looked up at the two cats as they entered. Her eyes showed only a slight cloud of surprise.
"Foxheart, Redfur. What are you two doing here?" Vinestar began calmly.
"We need to tell you about something," Foxheart began, "a dream that we both had at the same time. We think it might be a prophecy, sent from Starclan."
"I see," meowed Vinestar, sitting up in her nest, "so, what was this dream about?"
"We woke up on a sandy bank," began Redfur, "and there was a river in front of us, a huge river, but it didn't flow from side to side like a normal river. It flowed towards us and back out."
"Go on," Vinestar mewed curiously.
"And we met a tom named Barkstar, who claimed to have wiped out all the clans and created a new clan called Tigerclan," Redfur continued. She shuddered, "Just like Tigerstar. The truth dawned on Foxheart as she blurted out, "He looked just like Bark-kit!" Vinestar looked up at her. Horror crept into the edges of Vinestar's eyes.
"A-are you sure his name was Barkstar? Did he really look like Bark-kit?" she stammered, looking back and forth between Foxheart and Redfur.
"Yes. Yes he did." Foxheart replied confidently. Vinestar stood. She looked both Redfur and Foxheart down. Then Vinestar began pacing the den, as if mulling something over. Finally, she sat down and curled her tail over her paws. "I had a dream," she began, "I was in a clearing. A huge cat's shadow was blotting out the whole sky and all the clans were running from it. They were blaming me, saying he was my king. Then they ran away, and I was wading in blood, and it kept filling up, until I was drowning in it. Then I woke up." Vinestar took a deep breath, and looked down at her paws. "Bark-kit is my kin. If he is going to follow in Tigerstar's pawsteps, we need to stop him. If you think that going on a quest to the place in your dream will stop him, do it. We can't let Bark-kit turn into that monster." Foxheart and Redfur glanced at eachother in surprise. They hadn't expected Vinestar to have had a dream too. And the fact that they were going on a quest shocked them.
"When would you like to leave?" questioned Vinestar.
"As soon as possible, please," Foxheart replied, "we need to stop this problem as soon as we can."
"Well alright then," decided Vinestar, "you can leave after the clan gathering in two days. You a will need plenty of rest, prey, and traveling herbs from Autumnstripe. I believe Starclan will show you where you need to go." Vinestar dipped her head to dismiss the two warriors. Redfur and Foxheart slowly backed out of the den. Once outside, Redfur turned to Foxheart and exclaimed,
"Well that was easier then I expected!"
"Me too!" replied Foxheart. She turned and bounded down the rocky path from the leaders den. The two friends split when they came to the bottom of the path. Redfur went to the elders den to tell her parents, and Foxheart padded to where her mother and father were sharing prey. As she padded past the camp entrance, Lionfang, Moonstream, Wheatpaw, and Flowerheart padded through the entrance.
"Everything's good on the Oceanclan border!" reported Moonstream.
"Good" meowed Foxheart to the patrol as they passed. As she padded towards her parents, they both looked up expectantly.
" I told Galeheart." Skywhisker meowed immediately.
"So what happened?" Galeheart urged.
Foxheart looked around at her camp, apprentices, warriors, and elders, all as one. The sun shone down and lit her fur up like a fire. Foxheart took a deep breath, and mewed, "Redfur and I are going on a quest."


Chapter 5
Foxheart padded to the medicine cat den. Lichen hung over the cave entrance. She slipped through it and called out,
"Autumnstripe? Petalpaw?" When there was no reply, she realized they might be in the elders den, or collecting herbs. Foxheart sat down to wait for them to come back. Both of her parents had been overjoyed when she told them about the quest. She could see the pride shining in both of their eyes. Foxheart had had to drag herself away from them. I wonder what traveling herbs will taste like? I'm glad I don't have to take them yet! Wondered Foxheart. She sniffed around the rocky ledges holding herbs. Foxheart hoped that the strong smelling thistle plant wouldn't be one of the traveling herbs. One of the plants had big leaves, and small white flowers. It smelled sweet, so she wouldn't mind that. Foxheart knew that the small black seeds were poppy seeds, ad they made cats sleep, so they wouldn't be used. She knew that the purplish blue berries were juniper berries, and they were nice and sweet. Foxheart wouldn't mind them. She decided that she would need to ask Autumnstripe about healing herbs, so she could know about some for the long trip ahead of her. She heard a rustling at the entrance to the den, and Foxheart turned to see who it was. Fernpaw came in, with Stormfoot at her side.
"But it hurts!" the small black she-cat wailed. Fernpaw was holding one of her front paws off the ground as she came limping in.
"I know it does, but Autumnstripe can pull it out quickly now that we're here," Stormfoot reassured her.
"What happened?" questioned Foxheart as she rushed over.
"I stepped on a really big thorn, and now its stuck in my paw where I got a cut a few days ago!" cried Fernpaw.
"Autumnstripe isn't here right now!" exclaimed Foxheart.
"He isn't?!" wailed Fernpaw, flopping onto her side.
"No. Here, let me see it. I've seen him do this a couple of times. I'm sure I can do it," decided Foxheart.
"Wait, Foxheart! I'm not sure-" Stormfoot began. Foxheart cut him off as she meowed,
"Its that or let her wait even longer with this in her paw." Foxheart lifted Fernpaw's paw up and saw a thorn buried deep in her soft pad.
"Here goes nothing," she muttered. Foxheart gripped the thorn between her teeth, and pulled. The thorn slid out gently, and was followed by a trickle of blood.
"Lick this until I get back," ordered Foxheart. Fernpaw obediently began to lick her paw as Foxheart darted off to find the herb that she was looking for. She finally found the long stem she was looking for. Foxheart plucked off some of the bright yellow flowers and darted back to Fernpaw. She stuck the flowers into her mouth, and chewed them up, then spat them back out. Foxheart spread the small clump onto Fernpaw's pad, and then sat back, anxiously watching Fernpaw's reaction.
"Oh, that feels great Foxheart. Thanks!" Fernpaw sighed, closing her eyes. Foxheart sat back happily. She had actually felt like a medicine cat for a bit!
"Lets wait for Autumnstripe to get back, so he can tell you what to do," Foxheart meowed.
"Okay!" meowed Fernpaw happily. Foxheart glanced over at Stormfoot. His brown eyes were fixed angrily on her face. What was his problem?
"Hey, Stormfoot, can I talk to you for a bit?" asked Foxheart, gesturing for him to follow with her tail. She padded deeper into the den, and she could tell from his pawsteps that Stormfoot was following. As soon as they were out of earshot, Foxheart spun around, tail lashing.
"What is your problem?!" she hissed.
"My problem? What's your problem? Stalking around like you own the place! You act like you're the leader and the medicine cat! You're not. You're only the deputy! You may be Redfur's best friend, but I am not going to worship you like the rest of the clan!" snarled Stormfoot.
"No one worships me, except for maybe one kit, but that's all! I acted like a medicine cat because someone was in trouble! I am not going to let a clanmate suffer when I can do something about it! And I know I am not leader. I respect Vinestar as leader, just as much as you, or any other warrior! I follow the warrior code, and I am an honest and good warrior serving my clan and Starclan, and there is no reason that you should have anything against me!" Foxheart was almost yowling. She saw Fernpaw angling her ears towards them, so she quieted down.
"You are a good warrior, and I will not take that away from you, so don't take it away from me! So leave me alone! she spat. Foxheart stalked past Stormfoot and back to Fernpaw.
"Is everything okay?" wondered Fernpaw.
"Of course it is. I was just...discussing hunting patrols with your mentor." Foxheart muttered.
"It didn't look like a discussion," Fernpaw pressed Foxheart for more. With no response, she asked, "What are you doing here?"
"I'm asking Autumnstripe what traveling herbs I'm going to take, and I'm going to try to learn about some herbs." replied Foxheart.
"Really? Why? Are you going on a trip? Is that why you need traveling herbs? Why do you want to learn about herbs? You're not gonna become a medicine cat are you?" Fernpaw asked, sitting up.
"I am going on a trip. I want to learn about herbs in case Redfur or I get hurt. We're going on a quest."Foxheart replied wearily.
"Really?! Can I come? Why are you going? Please can I come? Pretty please? I know really good fighting moves, and I can catch lots of prey, and I can be guard, and-" Fernpaw's outburst was cut off when Foxheart exclaimed,
"Great Starclan, Fernpaw! I'm sorry but you can't come. It's a trip that we have to take alone."
"Awww! But its so boring to be here when I could be off on a quest!" whined Fernpaw.
"Don't worry. With two warriors gone, you'll need to be protecting the camp, and supplying your clan with prey!" Foxheart reminded her.
"You're right! I need to take care of them while you're gone! Thanks for reminding me Foxheart!" exclaimed Fernpaw.
"That's what I'm here for," purred Foxheart. The two cats sat in silence for a while. Foxheart started grooming her long fur down in long, rhythmic strokes. Fernpaw began grooming herself too. Suddenly, the medicine cat's scent wafted over them, and the brambles covering the den stirred. Autumnstripe padded in with a mouthful of delicious-smelling catmint clutched in his jaws. He had
such a huge mouthful that it was almost falling out of his mouth. He dropped it and meowed, "Foxheart, what are you doing here?"
"Oh, I need to get something from you." She replied.
"Well, now that you're here, you might as well make yourself useful," he grunted. Autumnstripe pushed half of his pile over to her and meowed, "carry this for me please."
"Sure," Foxheart replied, picking up the bundle of catmint. She padded after him.
"Where ith Pethalpaw?" asked Foxheart, her voice muffled by the bundle in her jaws. Autumnstripe dropped his catmint in a large crevice in the wall, and pushed it in and patted it down until it was in a neat pile. Foxheart put her's on top of Autumnstripe's, and did the same thing until it was in a nice pile, just like his.
"Thanks," he meowed, "and about Petalpaw, she's coming. She's just having some...trouble with her catmint. Could you go help her with it, please, while I see what's wrong with Fernpaw?
"Of course I can." Foxheart mewed, bounding towards the den entrance. She slipped through and paused for a moment, blinking in the bright sunlight and feeling it warm her face, then bounded towards the camp entrance. She saw Petalpaw emerge from the tunnel, her mouth spilling over with catmint, and one paw balancing a awkward pile. Foxheart rushed over and meowed,
"Petalpaw, let me help you with that!" Petalpaw quickly dropped her bundles and divided them into two large piles, while gushing to Foxheart,
"Thanks so much Foxheart! I thought I would never get to camp! It took me forever! I'm so glad I'm finally here!
"Its okay. Autumnstripe asked me to come help you. Why did he make you carry so much anyway?"
"Well," Petalpaw began sheepishly, staring at her paws, "it was kind of a punishment, for running off to play with the other apprentices when I was supposed to be helping him."
"That's okay," Foxheart meowed sympathetically, "it's a shame that you can't always play with eachother. Maybe I could help you with that problem?"
"You would really do that for me?" asked Petalpaw, looking up hopefully.
"Well, I can always try, right?" Foxheart meowed thoughtfully.
"Sure you can! Thanks Foxheart!" exclaimed Petalpaw. She grabbed her bundle and dashed away, stopping to wait for Foxheart a few paces away. Foxheart bent down and picked up her bundle. She trotted to where Petalpaw was waiting, and together they padded to the medicine cat den. They swished inside, and heard Autumnstripe meowing,
"-and its great that our catmint stocks are so high. I've never seen so much catmint in my life! Its like a tiny forest! A tiny, overgrown,bursting forest!
"That's...um...great!" meowed Fernpaw uncertainly. Autumnstripe had her paw in his paws, and he was look over it carefully.
"Well," Autumnstripe meowed, "it's a clean cut, and goldenrod is a great plant for wounds. Dock would have been good too, but goldenrod is fine. Foxheart didn't do too badly! But she should have waited for me anyway."
"I know! That's exactly what I was thinking, but no, she's got to do it her way!" Stormfoot exclaimed, sitting up from where he had been sulking.
"She did a good job, though, so I'm not complaining!" spotting Petalpaw and Foxheart, Autumnstripe added, "Speaking of Foxheart, here she is now. Could you put the catmint where it went before please?" Foxheart flicked her tail and padded to the catmint store. She found it from the delicious scent wafting from its crevice. She pushed and patted her bundle in, waited for Petalpaw to do the same, then turned and trotted to where the other cats where.
"Thanks Foxheart." Autumnstripe meowed. "you did a good job on Fernpaw's paw! Where did you learn to do that?"
"Well, I like watching you and Petalpaw working in my spare time. I've learned a bit." Foxheart mewed shyly.
"Well, Fernpaw, you should go and rest, and be sure to be gentle on your paw until it's healed up, at least for a few days. Okay?" Autumnstripe mewed.
"Sure! Bye!" meowed Fernpaw. She jumped up and bounced out of the den, with only a slight limp. Stormfoot stood up and dragged himself after her.
"Have a good day!" called Autumnstripe cheerfully. Redfur passed Stormfoot on her way in.
"Hey Foxheart. I saw you come in here with Petalpaw, so I followed you." she called.
"Hi Redfur," meowed Autumnstripe, "so, both of you, I think something is going on. What is it?"
"Well," Foxheart began cautiously, "we both had a dream at the same time, and we think that it was a dream from Starclan, a prophecy. We talked to Vinestar. She had a dream too. She thinks that we should go on a quest, and that Starclan will show us the way. We came to see you to see what traveling herbs we need to take, and I'd like to learn about some herbs for the quest." The whole time Foxheart had been talking, Autumnstripe had been listening closely to what she was saying. He thought curiously,
"When are you leaving?"
"The day after the gathering," Foxheart answered.
"Okay. Well, that gives us plenty of time. First off, you don't have to worry about traveling herbs, that's for me. I can teach you some healing herbs though," meowed Autumnstripe.
"That would be great!" thanked Foxheart.
"Follow me then," called Autumnstripe over his shoulder as he trotted away. Redfur and Foxheart padded after him, looking around at all the plants tucked away in the walls. Autumnstripe stopped and stuck his paw into one of the deep dips in the bumpy rock wall. When he pulled it out, there were a few small purple-blue berries in a bunch on a bristly dark green leaf balanced on it.
"Juniper berries!" exclaimed Foxheart proudly, recognizing the berries by their scent immediately.
"Yes," Autumnstripe agreed, "juniper berries. Perfect for just about anything. They can help a sore stomach, heal wounds, take away a cold, anything! The berries are found on a bush made of these prickly leaves." Autumnstripe rolled them back into their place, and padded on with a wave of his tail. He stopped at another wide dent in the wall. He touched the flowers inside with his tail, and meowed,
"This, as you know, is goldenrod. Helpful for healing large or small wounds, just like Foxheart did with Fernpaw's paw. They are easy to spot and find because they look like a tall, golden rod. They're very easy to spot. Okay, come on," The three cats padded all around the den, looking at herbs, until they had seen dock, marigold, comfrey, lavender, catmint, burdock root, and feverfew. They were about to move on to a liquid that reeked like the dirtplace, when Petalpaw padded up with juniper berries and some other leaves in her jaws. She dropped them when she reached Autumnstripe and reminded him,
"Remember, we have to go give Whisperkit his strengthening herbs, and Rabbitfur asked us to come look at his sore pads. I've got dock ready and its getting late. Shouldn't we go now?"
"Right! I completely forgot!" Autumnstripe grabbed some dock, and began padding away. "Foxheart, Redfur, come back tomorrow and we can finish up in here, okay?"
"Okay!" called Redfur after him. As he trotted out, Foxheart and Redfur followed into the Lightningclan clearing. Bark-kit, Tigerkit, and Quick-kit were tussling in a corner while Dusk-kit and Sleetkit batted a ball of moss around while Whisperkit watched wistfully from his mother's side.
"You know, I've been thinking, and I think that we should give Rosepaw and Quailpaw an assessment. Its time they got their warrior names." thought Foxheart out loud to Redfur.
"I was thinking the same thing. We'll tell Vinestar and then take them out." replied Redfur. The two warriors turned and padded along the camp walls before bounding up to the leaders den and entering.
"Hello Foxheart, Redfur," greeted Vinestar warmly.
"Hello Vinestar." replied Redfur.
"Hello Vinestar. We think that we should give our apprentices their last assessment today, before we leave," Foxheart meowed immediately, plunging into her thoughts quickly.
"Of course! I've been thinking that they were ready for a while now," agreed Vinestar.
"We'll report to you at sunhigh today," confirmed Redfur.
"Good. You two are good mentors." Vinestar nodded her head in dismissal. Foxheart and Redfur backed out of the den, heads lowered in respect. They went to find their apprentices for their assesment, warmed by the midday sun, the thought of days ahead, and their leaders praise.
Chapter 6
Foxheart was crouching in the branches of an oak tree. Bright green leaves with fringes of brown gave her a thick covering. She kept her breathing silent and slow. She kept her breathing silent and slow. From her view, she could see Rosepaw swishing over the ground after a mouse, her green eyes narrowed in concentration. Rosepaw took a few more steps forward then stopped abruptly. She was still, and her tail tip flicked back and forth. After a few moments of silence, Rosepaw's haunches started rocking, and they rocked for a few moments, until Rosepaw pounced, landing squarely on the prey. She killed it quickly and padded away with it in her teeth. Foxheart clambered swiftly to the top of the tree trunk. She slid down it silently, then leapt, landing softly in a patch of grass, all without a sound. She padded after Rosepaw's scent, making sure not to place her paws on any crackling leaves or twigs. Foxheart padded slowly, with her body and tail close to the ground. She could hear Rosepaw up ahead, burying her prey with the rest. Foxheart skirted around a tree, and quickly ducked back behind it when she saw Rosepaw right in front of her. She shot to the top of the tree, and looked down on Rosepaw's form. She could see in Rosepaw's stash that there was a mouse, a squirrel, a starling, and two vole. A huge stash! Rosepaw had stopped and stood still for a moment, her ears pricked, her eyes wide, and her mouth open. When Rosepaw stopped, she had a confused look on her face. Rosepaw had obviously scented Foxheart. From her side, Quailpaw and Redfur's scent wafted to Foxheart. Rosepaw was doing very well, and the sun was only barely beginning to center in the sky. All the cats were to meet at the camp entrance at sunhigh. Rosepaw headed away to find more prey.
~~~
Rosepaw opened her mouth to extend her senses out to the forest. She hated assessments. They were filled with so much tension, and knowing you were being watched was scary. She hadn't seen or heard Foxheart once, but she knew tat Foxheart was there. Every now and then, Rosepaw would catch a whiff of Foxheart's scent on the breeze, but it disappeared just as soon as it came. Rosepaw had caught a lot of prey, so she thought she would get a good assessment. Foxheart and Redfur had said that this might be the assessment before their warrior ceremony. Rosepaw could still feel the tingling excitement fizzing at the tips of her fur.
I wonder what my name will be? she thought as she padded along. Rosepetal? No, not fierce enough. Roseclaw? Too fierce. Hopefully I'll get a good name. Suddenly, she picked up the scent of a starling. Stalking after it, she rounded a tree, and immediately saw the bird digging for insects. She crouched down, her tail flat behind her, her pawsteps soft and soundless. She got within a tail length as the starling pecked busily away, not knowing that his cheery life was almost over. Rosepaw could feel the blood pounding in her ears. She took a tiny pawstep forward, and-Snap! The sound echoed through the trees. The bird's head snapped up without pausing to ever look around, it spread its wings and vaulted itself into the air. Rosepaw looked up at it, and with a tremendous effort, she leapt up at the bird. She hooked one claw into its feather, and slammed it down to the ground. She killed it with a swift bite. Rosepaw picked up the prey and padded into the forest, her tail held straight up in the air.
~~~
Quailpaw bounded over to Rosepaw at the camp entrance. Rosepaw had a huge mouthful of prey, and she kept having to readjust her grip so she wouldn't drop any. Quailpaw was proud of her own catch. She had managed to find two voles, a mouse, a crow and a squirrel. She dropped her prey and mewed,
"Hi Rosepaw! Nice catch!" Rosepaw dropped her catch and replied,
"Hi! You've got a good catch too!"
"Where do you think Redfur and Foxheart are?" asked Quailpaw, looking around and sniffing the breeze.
"I dunno. Maybe," Rosepaw mewed, lowering her voice, "they're discussing what our warrior names will be!"
"Do you really think so?" asked Quailpaw.
"Maybe! I was thinking of what I want mine to be. There are so many to choose from! I don't want Roseclaw, or Rosepetal, or Rosenose, or Rosepool, or Roseflower, or Rosefoot, or Rosefur. But, I wouldn't mind Roseheart, or Rosestream, or Rosewhisker, or Rosestripe. Oh Rosestorm would be cool! Rosepelt? Rosebloom. Or Rosecloud would be good! You know what I would really like my name to be?"
"What?" asked Quailpaw. She didn't mind listening to Rosepaw go on and on, which she did alot.
"I'd like my name to be...Rosestar!" Rosepaw yowled, leaping onto a nearby rock.
"Oozy, Quailstar! I don't mind that!" giggled Quailpaw.
"You know what I heard?" Rosepaw mewed, flopping lazily onto her side.
"What?" Quailpaw asked, licking her paw and then drawing it over her face.
"I heard that Featherpaw and Petalpaw are getting their warrior names too!" Rosepaw mewed excitedly.
"Cool! Then they can sit through the warrior vigil with us!" Quailpaw exclaimed. The excited look in Rosepaw's eyes faded.
"Featherpaw can, but not Petalpaw, because she's a medicine cat."
"Oh. Okay," replied Quailpaw sadly. The two apprentices sat for a while longer until Rosepaw jumped up and mewed,
"They're taking forever! Lets go into camp."
"Okay." Quailpaw silently gathered her prey and followed Rosepaw into the tunnel. Rosepaw was looking down at the ground while she padded along. Quailpaw peered over her ears. She heard a rustle at the end of the tunnel, and tried to warn Rosepaw, but it was too late. The two cats collided, and when Quailpaw saw the big grey tom, she realized it was Yellowclaw. Quailpaw ducked behind Rosepaw so she wouldn't have to look at his menacing yellow glare.
"S-sorry!" stammered Rosepaw, her ears laid back as she crouched down.
"you need to watch where you're going!" snapped Yellowclaw.
"O-okay! We will!" squealed Rosepaw. Yellowclaw pushed past them and out of the camp. As soon as he was out of ear-shot, Quailpaw whispered to Rosepaw,
"He scares me!"
"Humph! I'm not a tiny bit scared of him!" Rosepaw exclaimed.
"Wow! Well...I'm not either then!" replied Quailpaw defiantly. The two she-cats padded into the camp. The sun was shining down into the hollow, and most of the clan was lazing about outside. Flowerheart and Lionfang were basking in the sun and chatting, while Featherpaw sat listening intently. Vinestar and Autumnstripe, who were brother and sister, were sharing a vole in the shade. Skywhisker, Moonstream, and Meadowfire sat sharing tongues. Rabbitfur and Wispcloud sat on some flat boulders, basking in the sun. Snowstorm and Nighteyes were flopped on their sides, occasionally tossing out a lazy comment. Their kits were play-fighting nearby in a soft patch of grass. Quailpaw and Rosepaw padded over to the fresh-kill pile and dropped their prey onto it, doubling the size of the pile. Windheart gave them an approving nod. He meowed,
"having an assessment, are you?"
"Yeah," replied Quailpaw.
"That's good. Training and more prey. You both did very well. You should be proud to serve your clan," he mewed truthfully. Windheart padded away to where his mate was grooming herself. Quailpaw and Rosepaw picked up a mouse to share. They settled down on a soft patch of grass. A peaceful silence, broken only by soft murmurs and bird chirps, filled the hollow.
Quailpaw's eyes began to close as the sun sank into her dark fur. She began to drift off to sleep with a happy thought in her mind. I'll be a warrior soon. Suddenly, though, the peace was shattered as the sound of thudding pawsteps reached the camp. Quailpaw sat up and angled her ears towards the camp entrance. She glanced around and saw many other cats doing the same. The pawsteps began to get louder. Quailpaw scented Redfur and Foxheart a moment before they burst wide-eyed into the clearing. Vinestar leapt up and mewed,
"Foxheart, Redfur, what's wrong?"
"Stoneclan...saw..." Redfur gasped, unable to speak properly for the way her side was heaving. Foxheart had caught her breath enough to exclaim,
"We ran here as soon as we saw. Stoneclan is invading Lightningclan territory!"

No comments:

Post a Comment